[Air-L] Evolution of the Wikipedia page on the attacks in Mumbai

Liza Potts lkpotts at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 19:22:24 PST 2008

>From what I've observed, CNN pushes participants off to the side on their
website, burying them in their iReport section. BBC News is much more
participatory, including comments, updates from folks, and integrating their
content.

This is similar to what I observed during Hurricane Katrina, when CNN would
not allow for participants to update their missing persons list. Instead,
they used a horrendously clunky listing service, which at first listed the
missing using a numerical navigation scheme for paging (1, 2, 3, 4 etc.)
instead of alphabetical order.

During the London Bombings of 7 July 2005, Flickr was far more active than
the activity I have witnessed so far for Mumbai. Though there have been very
helpful postings of news program screen captures, especially the still
images of the hostages being released.

At first, Wikinews was far more active than Wikipedia, where news was
constantly being updated. The same occurred during the shootings at Virginia
Tech, although Facebook was the center of much activity in the wake of that
disaster.

I've been working on this topic since 2004, and I've recently published
articles tracing the use of social software during times of disaster that
may be of interest to those of you working on this topic:
Potts, L. (2009, in press). "Using Actor Network Theory to Trace and Improve
Multimodal Communication Design." Technical Communication Quarterly.
Potts, L. (2009, in press). "Designing for Disaster: Social Software Use in
Times of Crisis." International Journal of Sociotechnology and Knowledge
Development.
Potts, L. (2008). "Designing with Actor Network Theory: A New Method for
Modeling Holistic Experience." Proceedings of the International Professional
Communication Conference. Montreal: IEEE.
Potts, L. (2008). "Mapping the Social and Technical in the Wake of
Disaster." Proceedings of the 2008 Sociotech Interaction Design Workshop.
London: British Computing Society.

I look forward to hearing from anyone interested in collaborating.

Take care,
Liza

Liza Potts, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor