[Air-L] possible submission

William Bain willronb at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 13 00:07:45 PST 2008

Hello All,

I just wanted to comment on this thread that I liked the site Pearse mentioned. By way of comment by a nontechical person could I offer this cut-pasted definition: "Virtual Reality: The term 'Virtual Reality' is used in a variety of ways but its original meaning refers to immersive virtual reality systems. In this sense, 'Virtual Reality' is a high-end user interface that involves real time 3D simulations and interactions through position and motion tracking, stereo audio and video, touch and force feedback techniques. The user's personal viewpoint is completely immersed in the virtual world.  Virtual Reality is more than a traditional medium since it introduces a new way of interacting with multimedia information."  This is from a site by the Australian Government's Communications and Media Authority and which I happened on more or less by chance. url http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD..PC/pc=PC_1498
FWIW I would quarrel with "The user's viewpoint is completely immersed in the virtual world" but the I suppose this depends on one's definition of viewpoint. In any case, I liked the site mentioned, to repeat myself.

Best wishes,

William Bain
PhD Student
Literary Theory