[Air-L] JRuby -- what an awful name

Peter Timusk ptimusk at sympatico.ca
Sat Nov 22 13:45:50 PST 2008

On 22-Nov-08, at 2:44 PM, Barry Wellman wrote:

> I do suppose that those who did this knew the connotations. Ah, coder
> youth. But didn't somebody tell them?
>
> I still grieve 45 years later, but now I have hope.
>
>  Barry Wellman

I do not think they are associated that way. I do not think this was
done on purpose.

Java is commonly J and Ruby is Ruby

It is too bad that you may have never been a coder youth yourself
perhaps you were? I was and I never had the power to name a language
as I doubt the namers of this are teens. I see some sort of agism here.

It brings up a common assumption in computer science that programming
is not political. Lessig tried to argue otherwise but ask some
programmers. You may find them as apathetic about politics as many.

Is this not seeing too much significance in this random connection?