[Air-L] Food in Copenhagen

Charles Ess charles.ess at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 06:19:39 PDT 2008

As a follow-up to Charlie's (the first!) recommendations ...

If you enjoy art and museums, in addition to the Glyptoteket - there are
three other museums to consider.
The Nationalmuseet has a wonderful exhibit on Danish pre-history (I confess:
I never knew the Stone Age could be so interesting), as well as a permanent
collection that is more than worthwhile.
The Statens Museum for Kunst is exceptional, in part thanks to the recent
additions and innovations.  It's also a pleasure to get to - if the weather
is reasonable, you can get there from the city center by walking through the
King's Garden  (Kongens Have) and Rosenborg Garden (Rosenborg Have).

But the utterly best: Den Hirschsprungske Samling (The Hirschsprung
Collection), just north of the Statens Museum for Kunst, has a wonderful
collection of Danish Golden Age art and the Skagen painters, including some
of the most well-known paintings by P.S. Krøyer, Vilhlem Hammershøi, Anna
Ancher, and others.  Krøyer's "Sommeraften ved Skagens strand" / Summer
evening on the beach at Skagen, in particular, is there - a favorite
painting of many Danes (and a few of us non-Danes - smile).  Not
surprisingly, the opportunity to see the real thing provides experience and
insight not available through the reproductions.
(English website: <http://hirschsprung.dynamicweb.dk/Default.asp?ID=170>)

But don't forget to attend IR 9.0!

cheers,
- c.