[Air-L] job posting

qCentral/Mary L. Gray qcentral at indiana.edu
Thu Oct 23 16:37:37 PDT 2008

Please distribute (sorry for cross-postings)

Faculty Positions in Social Informatics at Indiana University
http://informatics.indiana.edu/hiring

The Indiana University School of Informatics seeks to fill one junior
and one senior position in Social Informatics starting in August
2009. We define Social Informatics as study of the ways in which
social dynamics and contemporary information and communications
technologies (ICTs) mutually shape each other. We wish to hire
scholars who are excellent researchers and teachers and who will
provide substantial leadership in furthering the work we have already
begun in developing our new interdisciplinary field.

The School of Informatics at Indiana University is the first of its
kind and among the largest in the country, with a faculty of more
than 80 full-time members<http://www.informatics.indiana.edu/people/
faculty.asp>, 182 doctoral students<http://
www.informatics.indiana.edu/people/phd.asp>, 312 master’s
students<http://www.informatics.indiana.edu/people/grads.asp>, and
nearly 400 undergraduates majoring in either Informatics<http://
www.informatics.indiana.edu/academics/undergrad.asp> or Computer
Science<http://www.cs.indiana.edu/Academics/undergraduate/programs/>
on the Bloomington campus. Indiana University is home to the Rob
Kling Center for Social Informatics<http://rkcsi.indiana.edu/>, a
campus-wide center that supports social informatics research across
multiple disciplines. IU offers a vibrant environment for innovative
work in research and teaching.

Successful candidates will hold a Ph.D. in a relevant field and will
build on or complement our current areas of interest, which include:
collaborative and community knowledge practices (e.g., free/libre and
open source software projects); comparative methodologies for social
informatics; ICTs and development; gender and technology; history of
ICTs; political dimensions of ICTs; privacy and security in pervasive
technologies (especially health-related applications); scientific
work practices; science, technology, and society (STS); technology
and social change; and technology and culture. We encourage
applicants that link to other areas of strength within the School of
Informatics, including Complex Systems, Computer Science, Human
Computer Interaction and Design, Life Sciences, Music, and Security
Informatics.

The School of Informatics offers excellent work conditions including
low teaching loads, attractive salaries, and world-class
computing<http://www.iub.edu/compute/>, networking, and library
facilities<http://www.libraries.iub.edu/>. Located on the wooded,
rolling hills of southern Indiana, Bloomington is a culturally
thriving college town with moderate cost of living. It is renowned
for its top-ranked music school<http://music.indiana.edu/>,
performing and fine arts<http://iub.edu/arts/>, historic
campus<http://www.iub.edu/tour/>, food tourism<http://
www.visitbloomington.com/listings/index.cfm?
catID=5&notify=1&ContentID=44>, cycling traditions<http://
www.iusf.indiana.edu/Events_Programs/Little_500.html>, active
lifestyle<http://bloomington.in.gov/parks/>, and natural
beauty<http://www.visitbloomington.com/listings/index.cfm?
catID=4&notify=1&ContentID=42>.

Applicants should submit a curriculum vitae, a statement of research
and teaching, and the names of three references (six for associate
and full professors) using the online application form<http://
www.informatics.indiana.edu/hiring/apply.asp>. Supporting materials
can also be sent to:

Chair, Faculty Search Committee
School of Informatics
919 E. 10th Street
Bloomington, IN 47408
E-mail:
hiring at informatics.indiana.edu<mailto:hiring at informatics.indiana.edu>

Review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until the
position is filled.

Indiana University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
employer. Applications from women and minorities are strongly
encouraged.

________________________
Mary L. Gray, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Communication and Culture
Affiliate Faculty
Gender Studies Department and American Studies Program
Indiana University
800 East 3rd Street
Bloomington, IN 47405
ph. 812/855.4379