[Air-L] CFP: Race, Ethnicity, and (New) Media

Robin Reid Robin_Reid at tamu-commerce.edu
Sat Oct 25 12:25:00 PDT 2008

Please feel free to repost or forward!

Symposium title: Race, Ethnicity, and (New) Media April 30-May 2, 2009

The Race & Ethnic Studies Institute at Texas A&M University
(http://resi.tamu.edu/
<https://libarts.tamu.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://libarts.tamu
.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://resi.tamu.edu/> ) convenes a
symposium every other year, and the proposed theme for the 2008-2009
year is Shifting Terrains: Inequalities in the 21st Century, and the
symposium itself is to focus on Race, Ethnicity, and (New) Media.

The explosion of work on New Media (including the Internet, mobile
devices, Web 2.0) and the juxtaposition and overlap between 'old' media
(radio, television, film, and mass-print media) and New Media is a rich
field of cultural production and scholarly research in which scholars of
race and ethnicity have not been particularly well-represented.
However, there are cutting edge scholars who do indeed explore various
aspects of race/ethnicity and (New) Media (including audience/fan
studies, representations of racial and ethnic identities in a variety of
media, identity-focused online communities, etc.).

We invite such scholars to submit papers with the intention of
presenting work that deals with these topics during a 2 1/2 day
interdisciplinary symposium, with several keynote speakers, including
Dr. Lisa Nakamura and Dr. Henry Bial. We intend that a number of these
papers will be compiled into an edited volume intended for publication,
and that all papers and participants will have the opportunity to upload
their papers on our developing interactive website for scholarly
exchange on working papers.

Submissions: 500 word abstracts or full papers of no more than 8000
words (including notes and references) should be submitted to:
gatson at tamu.edu and resi at tamu.edu by December 31, 2008.  Submissions
will be reviewed by an organizing committee, and authors will be
notified of acceptance/rejection by March 15, 2009.

*Please note person posting the call is not one of the organizers and
reply to them.  Thank you*

Robin Anne Reid

Professor, Literature and Languages

Texas A&M University-Commerce

Commerce TX 75429

903.886.5268 (work)

903.886.5980 (fax)

Second Vice President, International Association of the Fantastic in the
Arts

www.iafa.org

Tolkien at Kalamazoo

President, Internation Association of Audience and Fan Studies

http://community.livejournal.com/iaafs/profile