[Air-L] Ethics and retrospective consent

Kris M. Markman krism at alumni.utexas.net
Wed Oct 22 15:17:22 PDT 2008

I received IRB approval for a study involving the linguistic analysis
of *private* email (which in theory should be more difficult than a
listserv message). All I had to do was send a short consent-request
email to those people whose messages I wanted to include in my corpus.
My IRB gave me no problems with this (this is in the US). If you would
like to email me off list I'd be happy to share with you the language
I used in my IRB application.
Sincerely,
Kris Markman
Kris M. Markman, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Dept. of Communication
University of Memphis
https://umdrive.memphis.edu/kmmrkman/www/index.html