[Air-L] Copenhagen Gratitude

Steve Jones sjones at uic.edu
Sun Oct 26 14:53:00 PDT 2008

I'd like to follow up Nancy's thanks (now that the fog of jet lag
seems to be finally clearing, a week later) with my own. Now, I may on
the one hand be seeing AoIR conferences through rose colored glasses
since I no longer have responsibility for them, but if so they are
less tinted just due to the fact that I know full well what goes into
planning and executing a conference. AoIR 9 was another in an unbroken
string of memorable conferences. We are fortunate to have individuals,
such as the ones Nancy named in her email, who step up each year to
deliver an excellent conference, and individuals who serve on the
executive committee to help guide the association. All of them put in
tremendous effort behind the scenes and I hope they derive at least a
bit of the satisfaction I feel about AoIR. We are also fortunate to
have a community that values collegiality, knowledge,
interdisciplinarity, the exchange of ideas, respect and friendship. I
applaud and thank you all for making AoIR an example of what a
scholarly community can be, and for wanting to put in the effort to
make it better.

I'm looking forward to AoIR in Milwaukee in 2009. I am sure I will be
as incredulous then as I am now that it will be the 10th annual
conference.

Sj