[Air-L] CFP: Symposium title: Race, Ethnicity, and (New) Media April 30-May 2, 2009

Holly Kruse holly-kruse at utulsa.edu
Fri Oct 3 17:47:06 PDT 2008

Forwarded on request.

Holly

--------

Would it be possible to circulate the CFP below on the AOIR listserv?

Thank you,

--Sarah N. Gatson

CALL FOR PAPERS

Symposium title: Race, Ethnicity, and (New) Media April 30-May 2, 2009

The Race & Ethnic Studies Institute at Texas A&M University (http://
resi.tamu.edu/
<https://libarts.tamu.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://
libarts.tamu.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://resi.tamu.edu/>
) convenes a symposium every other year, and the proposed theme for
the 2008-2009
year is Shifting Terrains: Inequalities in the 21st Century, and the
symposium
itself is to focus on Race, Ethnicity, and (New) Media.  The
explosion of work on
New Media (including the Internet, mobile devices, Web 2.0) and the
juxtaposition
and overlap between 'old' media (radio, television, film, and mass-
print media) and
New Media is a rich field of cultural production and scholarly
research in which
scholars of race and ethnicity have not been particularly well-
represented.
However, there are cutting edge scholars who do indeed explore
various aspects of
race/ethnicity and (New) Media (including audience/fan studies,
representations of
racial and ethnic identities in a variety of media, identity-focused
online
communities, etc.).  We invite such scholars to submit papers with
the intention of
presenting work that deals with these topics during a 2 1/2 day
interdisciplinary
symposium, with several keynote speakers, including Dr. Lisa Nakamura
and Dr. Henry
Bial. We intend that a number of these papers will be compiled into
an edited volume
intended for publication, and that all papers and participants will
have the
opportunity to upload their papers on our developing interactive
website for
scholarly exchange on working papers.

Submissions: 500 word abstracts or full papers of no more than 8000
words (including
notes and references) should be submitted to: gatson at tamu.edu and
resi at tamu.edu by
December 31, 2008.  Submissions will be reviewed by an organizing
committee, and
authors will be notified of acceptance/rejection by March 15, 2009.

Delete & Prev |  Delete & Next
Move to: