[Air-L] "Hack the Debate" - Twitter and CurrentTV join together

Anders Fagerjord anders.fagerjord at media.uio.no
Tue Oct 7 06:15:07 PDT 2008

Den 6. okt.. 2008 kl. 17.11 skrev Tuszynski, Stephanie:

> Current and Twitter are both promoting this as being the first time
> this has ever been done, running live "tweets" over a tv broadcast.
> I'm sure it's the first time it's been done with Twitter, but
> running text messages over a tv broadcast has been done before, I'm
> pretty sure.

SMS-es over TV debates has been common in Norwegian TV for five years
now, possibly more. It is one of the phenomena Gunn Enli wrote about
it in her 2007 Ph.D. thesis "The Participatory Turn in Broadcast
Television". See also:

Enli, Gunn. "Gatekeeping in the New media Age: A case Study of the
Selection of Text-Messages in a Current Affairs Programme". Javnost -
The Public 2007 ;Volume 14.(2) s. 47-63

--anders
--
Anders Fagerjord, dr. art.