[Air-L] Copenhagen

Christian Nelson xianknelson at mac.com
Wed Oct 8 08:16:23 PDT 2008

I second the Glyptotek recommendation. Worth visiting even if stripped
of all the art. Grand architecture that is, as Charlie says, still
somehow warm and intimate. My wife and mother tell me that the cafe is
also a fabulous place to have a delicious and wonderfully civilized
lunch. (I wouldn't know; I had to leave early for the Experamentarium
because the kids' fascination with the Glyptotek, while real, didn't
last as long as ours did.) I'd just add the suggestion that if you
have the time, and are kidless, you should start on the bottom level
and then work your way upward. That way, you can  follow the
chronology of the collection, which goes from Egyptian and Greek to
Etruscan and Roman, and then from 19th through 20th century European.

If you can only visit two art museums, I'd recommend Louisiana,
particularly if you're into modern and cutting-edge contemporary art
from around the world. Once again, the collection and exhibits are
located in an absolutely gorgeous setting. The grounds are beautiful,
with fascinating modern sculpture sprinkled throughout, and the cafe
(with its spacious patio) looks out over the sound. Its outside
Copenhagen to the north (nearly to Helsingor and its great castle),
but its an easy train trip. And there's an art room for the kids.

BTW, if you're doing heavy duty touring in North Zeeland (including
Copenhagen, Roskilde, and Helsingor) after the conference you might
want to think about getting a CPH card (24 hour and 72 hour
varieties)--it gets you into lots of North Zeeland attractions for
free (though not the Viking Ship Museum, Elsinore castle or the
Experimentarium) and covers all bus, Metro and train travel in
Northern Zeeland, which should get you darn near everywhere you're
going. See the VisitCopenhagen.com site re: this.

--Christian Nelson