[Air-L] networked households

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Sun Oct 19 21:35:25 PDT 2008

 Barry Wellman

  S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology, FRSC              NetLab Director
  Department of Sociology                        University of Toronto
  725 Spadina Avenue, Room 388                  Toronto Canada M5S 2J4
  http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman            fax:+1-416-978-3963

  Updating history:     http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php

Tracy Kennedy, Lee Rainie, Aaron Smith Amy Tracey Wells and I have a study
out today.

We provide information, based on a survey, showing how American households
spend lots of time during the day connecting with each other by mobile
phone and the Internet. No more does Daddy Ozzie go over to work, leaving
Mommy Harriet at home and the kids at school -- all disconnected. However,
we also find lots of traditional togetherness, on nights and weekends,
with most families eating family meals together most nights.

This is the latest Pew Internet study, "Networked Households". It's out
today and available at  www.pewinternet.org

For the short version, you can read about it in the Washington Post, USA
Today, AFP, and probably you can hear me on Monday Oct 20 doing an
interview on "Future Tense" (NPR/US public radio).

YMMV, but most readers of this list are atypical.

 Barry Wellman