[Air-L] Copenhagen

Denise N. Rall denrall at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 21 11:19:50 PDT 2008

Dear AIR-ers -

It was absolutely spot on. What a meeting, what a great event. Those who have not participated yet, should start planning now to get to Milwaukee nest year.

AThe the AoIR business meeting, the deadlines for proposal submissions were brought up again. There are many options to increase the economy of paper submissions and the noted fact that even a peer-reviewed conference paper does not allow for tenure. The speaker noted a problem with his academic calendar and proposal submission deadlines. I note we have different calendars from the US (Australia, UK) so any month one chose would interfere with *someone's* academic life.

Solutions:  First off, as Briand Loader noted, the May deadline is for the proposal, not the paper. Second, put together a panel which depends on Abstracts rather than papers. This leaves the IP for your paper free to go to a journal for submission.  The third option is even more economical - put in the abstract on a panel. Get feedback and use that feedback to publish the paper in a journal. Bang for your 'buck.'

Cheers, Denise

Denise N. Rall, PhD. Internationalisation Project Officer
Southern Cross University, Lismore NSW 2480 AUSTRALIA
Office: Room T2.17, +61 (0)2 6620 3577 Mobile 0438 233 344
http://www.scu.edu.au/schools/esm/staff/pages/drall/
Presenter, Internet Research 9.0, 15-18 October 2008, Copenhagen, DK