[Air-L] Conferencing software for next year

Ulf-Dietrich Reips ureips at genpsy.unizh.ch
Thu Oct 23 09:55:35 PDT 2008

Hi,
I have used conftool at General Online Research conference in three roles:
1. participant, 2. reviewer, and 3. as a former organizer who longed
for such a system dearly.

As a participant I generally welcomed the tool in '07 as a structured
guide for everything related to the conference. On the downside,
however, I disliked
- yet another registration process
- a number of usability issues (missing fields, forced response in
some superfluous fields, lack of internationalization, navigation
issues etc.)
- no networked display of authored and co-authored papers (I could
only see my own submissions, not those I co-authored)
- related: despite the database behind the tool it is not possible to
import and reuse data previously submitted to the system. One has to
type in everything again and again, both from one submission to the
next and also for co-authors who previously registered
- having to log in to being able to look at the program; the program
was always displayed in a weird format
- past programs are not interlinked anymore (DGOF only has links to
the older programs up to GOR'06 at
http://mail.dgof.de/filenotfound.html)
- programs are not searchable (they were in the earlier GOR
conferences, see for example http://gor.de/gor04/index_3.html).
This year there is a checkbox one is forced to check, if one wants to
continue the submission of a paper. The text reads "Mandatory: I
agree that my uploaded files (e.g. slides, poster) will be published
on the conference website. (You will have the opportunity to revise
details of the files shortly after the GOR.)".

As a reviewer/member of the International Board I found it extremely
aggravating to find out that the conference organizers'
implementation of conftool contained a bug that erased all reviewers'
comments to the authors before I alerted them to the fact. Even
though they had a highly skilled programmer working hours and hours
on conftool. I thus experienced what easily happens with such "magic
systems" - the conference board had given away so much of its
responsibility by trusting "the perfect system" that they first
weren't clear on whose responsibility it was to respond, then denied
the problem, then took the stance that the verbal feedback was of no
importance (only the ratings).
On the upside the system is able to automatically generate statistics
about submissions and participants that support conference planning
at all stages, and it also takes a load off of the organizers'
shoulders by sending automated feedback and by integrating with
payment systems.

Finally, as a former organizer of that very conference I can imagine
how much time and work can be saved. And a well-working Web
application seems almost a *must* for our type of organization. It
feels embarassing if Internet-related organizations don't make use of
net technologies. But then, if they make use of it and fail...

A last point: The rating procedure in conftool (10-point scales)
suggested a degree of precision that was really not needed/ignored. I
know of one colleague who had submitted two talks: the one with the
lower ratings was accepted as a talk, the one with the higher ratings
was accepted as a poster only.

I guess much of the decision boils down to *how* the tool is
implemented and maintained by the conference organizers. Be prepared
for unpleasant surprises if you use it for the first time.

Best --u