[Air-L] Copenhagen Gratitude

Nancy Baym nbaym at ku.edu
Tue Oct 21 11:26:57 PDT 2008

Let me thank again the people in Copenhagen (most especially Lisbeth
Klastrup, Gitte Stald, Thomas Jeppesen, Klaus Bruhn Jensen, Stine
Gotved and the many volunteers) as well as Brian Loader and all the
reviewers for their hard work making the conference such a success.

When Jeremy Hunsinger and I organized the first conference in Kansas
in 2000, it was only in our wildest dreams that we imagined its
becoming what it has. I am continuously awed by the internationalism,
interdisciplinarity, open minds and friendliness amongst scholars
that characterizes our meetings. It's the only conference I go to
where the most respected of senior scholars and the greenest of grad
students are listened to with equal respect.

Plus, on a purely personal level, I think we've got the coolest, best
looking and easily the best-dressed academic community out there.

Thanks to those who made it happen and everyone who came. See you in
Milwaukee where we can all honor the coolness that is AoIR with a
field trip to the statue of The Fonz.

Nancy