[Air-L] Fwd: 22.186 Academia.edu: 'tree' of academics launches

Maria E.Gonzalez gonzalez at ischool.utexas.edu
Mon Sep 1 15:45:35 PDT 2008

I found no item that suited me but discovered, once I was in my
"personal website area," that there are several sections where
your research interests can be listed in your own words, and
slots where you can  add teaching materials, CVs, etc as have
several  faculty members already participating.

--
Maria E. Gonzalez
gonzalez at ischool.utexas.edu

Quoting Peter Timusk <ptimusk at sympatico.ca>:

 I agree too as popular music and statistics seem to missing as
 research interests. I have requested by feedback to the site
 that
 they open up the research interests to free fields.

 Code seems to rule this site and it also is not very intuitive
 design
 and I wonder how those with no sight can navigate it.

 Seems another example of poor web design with big ideas.

 On 1-Sep-08, at 3:48 AM, Anders Sundnes Løvlie wrote:

 > Interesting. But for a project with global ambitions, it
 seems a
 > little
 > eschewed towards English language. E.g. in the "research
 interests"
 > section there are two categories for literature studies:
 "English
 > literature" and "World literatures"... Neither does it handle
 non-
 > English
 > characters well. My new, easy-to-remember homepage url:
 >
 > http://uio.academia.edu/AndersSundnesL%C3%B8vlie
 >
 > ;)
 > --
 > Anders Sundnes Løvlie
 > Research fellow
 > Department of Media and Communication
 > University of Oslo
 > Tlf: (+47) 40 45 04 85
 >
 > On Mon, September 1, 2008 01:39, jeremy hunsinger wrote:
 >> sorry for the xposting, think it is interesting
 >>
 >> Begin forwarded message:
 >>
 >>> From: Humanist Discussion Group
 <willard.mccarty at MCCARTY.ORG.UK>
 >>> Date: August 31, 2008 6:55:58 PM EDT
 >>> To: humanist at Princeton.EDU
 >>> Subject: 22.186 Academia.edu: 'tree' of academics launches
 <willard.mccarty at MCCARTY.ORG.UK>

 >>>              Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 22, No. 186.
 >>>      Centre for Computing in the Humanities, King's College
 London
 >>>                       www.princeton.edu/humanist/
 >>>                    Submit to: humanist at princeton.edu
 >>>

 >>>        Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 01:42:38 +0100
 >>>        From: Willard McCarty
 <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
 >>>        Subject: Academia.edu: 'tree' of academics launches
 >>>
 >>> From: Richard Price
 >>> Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 19:21:46 -0700
 >>>
 >>> Hi all,
 >>>
 >>> I’m a prize fellow in philosophy at All Souls College
 Oxford,
 >>> where I
 >>> recently finished my D.Phil on the philosophy of
 perception.

 >>> I’ve just launched a website, www.academia.edu, which does
 two
 >>> things:
 >>>

 >>> -          It displays academics around the world in a
 ‘tree’
 >>> format,
 >>> according to what university/department they are affiliated
 with.

 >>> -          It enables an academic to have an
 easy-to-maintain
 >>> academic
 >>> webpage. My webpage on Academia.edu is here:
 >>> http://oxford.academia.edu/RichardPrice
 >>>

 >>> My hope for the site is that it will list every academic –
 Faculty
 >>> members, Post-Docs, and Graduate Students - in the world,
 and
 >>> display
 >>> where they are working. I also hope people will use the
 site to keep
 >>> track of what people in their field are working on.
 >>>
 >>> I’m trying to spread the word about www.academia.edu, so,
 if you
 >>> have a
 >>> minute, please visit the site, and add yourself to your
 department.
 >>> (Or
 >>> add your department/university to the tree if it is not
 there
 >>> already;
 >>> it is easy to add a university or department by clicking on
 the
 >>> arrows).
 >>>
 >>> And do spread the word to your friends and colleagues if
 you can.

 >>> Many thanks,
 >>>
 >>> Richard
 >>>

 >>> Dr. Richard Price,
 >>> Prize Fellow,
 >>> All Souls College,
 >>> Oxford,
 >>> OX1 4AL
 >>> http://oxford.academia.edu/RichardPrice
 >>
 >> jeremy hunsinger
 >> Center for Digital Discourse and Culture
 >> Virginia Tech
 >> Information Ethics Fellow, Center for Information Policy
 Research,
 >> School of Information Studies, University of
 Wisconsin-Milwaukee
 >> (www.cipr.uwm.edu
 >> )
 >>
 >> wiki.tmttlt.com
 >> www.tmttlt.com
 >>
 >> ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail
 >> /\                        - against microsoft attachments
 >> http://www.stswiki.org/  sts wiki
 >> http://cfp.learning-inquiry.info/  Learning Inquiry-the
 journal
 >> http://transdisciplinarystudies.tmttlt.com/