[Air-L] OneWebDay (Sept 22)

Janna Anderson andersj at elon.edu
Fri Sep 5 10:35:35 PDT 2008

The Imagining the Internet Center at Elon University is partnering with the
Greensboro News & Record to invite people to share their personal stories in
print and online about how the World Wide Web transforms their lives and
communities. Your contributions or your students' contributions could become
part of this project, which will also serve as a historic documentation of
how individuals say this amazing communication revolution is changing how we
live, work and play.

It's all part of the recognition of OneWebDay in September. OneWebDay
(http://onewebday.org/?page_id=290) is a celebration during which people
around the world plan events to promote the importance of an open, globally
interoperable Internet and the connectedness and empowerment they achieve
online. The News & Record and Imagining the Internet Center are asking
people to share written accounts and/or photos and also to consider
submitting video clips to YouTube tagged OneWebDay, sending us the URL.
We're asking them to tell us how their use of the Internet has made a
difference to them personally or in the communities or other groups they
belong to. We will compile the responses in a special package in the News &
Record and those who submit predictions will have them added to the
Imagining the Internet site.

An appeal for people's Internet stories ran in the News & Record Op Ed pages
August 31:
http://www.news-record.com/content/2008/08/29/article/anderson_a_day_to_cele
brate_glories_of_the_internet.

People are being encouraged to submit their Web stories before Sept. 14;
they will be posted and printed in the News & Record on Sept. 21, just
before OneWebDay, celebrated annually on Sept. 22.

If you or your students would like to share their stories, please have them
send their written comments (up to 300 words) to opinion at news-record with a
related photo or two. Or have them make a video of up to two minutes, post
it on YouTube with OneWebDay as the subject and send an e-mail to ³opinion²
to let the News & Record know about it.

Thanks!
Janna Anderson, from Elon University and Imagining the Internet