[Air-L] text suggestions?

Karen Farquharson KFarquharson at groupwise.swin.edu.au
Mon Sep 29 19:58:25 PDT 2008

Thanks to all who responded to my request for sociology of the
internet-type books.  I know I can't be the only one whose students
complain when their readings are older than a couple of years!

In the past I've used _The Internet in Everyday Life_ (ed by Wellman
and Haythornthwaite) and _Computer-Mediated Communication_ (by Barnes).
Both of them are good, but now won't work for me as I've completely
revamped my course.  I currently use a reading pack.

Here are the books that were recommended:

Cardoso, Gustavo, The Media in the Network Society: Browsing,
News,Filters and Citizenship, Lisboa, Portugal. CIES – Centre for
Research andStudies in Sociology, 2006.
Fuchs, Christian (2008). Internet and Society. Social Theory in the
Information Age. New York: Routledge. Routledge Research in Information
Technology and Society Series Number 8. ISBN 0415961327
Laura Lengel, Crispin Thurlow, Alice Tomic (2004). Computer Mediated
Communication. Sage.
The Polity Digital Media series of books here:
http://www.polity.co.uk/searchres.asp?subj=SI06&Main_Subject=SI06&site=1
Bell, D., Ed. (2007). Cyberculture theorists: Castells and Haraway.
London, Routledge.

If anyone has other suggestions, please let me know.

Cheers,

Karen

____________________________________
Dr Karen Farquharson
Senior Lecturer in Sociology
Academic Leader, Social and Policy Studies
Co-Editor, International Journal of Emerging Technologies and Society
http://www.swin.edu.au/ijets
Faculty of Life and Social Sciences
Swinburne University of Technology
1 John St.
Hawthorn, VIC 3122
Australia
ph: +61-(0)3-9214-5889
email: kfarquharson at swin.edu.au

-----
Swinburne University of Technology
CRICOS Provider Code: 00111D

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended only for
the use of the addressee. They may contain information that is
privileged or protected by copyright. If you are not the intended
recipient, any dissemination, distribution, printing, copying or use is
strictly prohibited. The University does not warrant that this e-mail
and any attachments are secure and there is also a risk that it may be
corrupted in transmission. It is your responsibility to check any
attachments for viruses or defects before opening them. If you have
received this transmission in error, please contact us on +61 3 9214
8000 and delete it immediately from your system. We do not accept
liability in connection with computer virus, data corruption, delay,
interruption, unauthorised access or unauthorised amendment.