[Air-L] OneWebDay (Sept 22)

Mark Elliott me at mark-elliott.net
Sun Sep 7 17:09:22 PDT 2008

Down in Melbourne, we're planning an event to communicate the experience of
running a wiki-based collaborative environment for the creation and public
consultation of Melbourne's ten year plan. (The plan has completed public
consultation and is currently being reviewed by City Council for adoption in
late Sept.)

You can see the wiki plan at: http://www.futuremelbourne.com.au

You can see our planned event at (I've pasted in this page's content below):
http://www.onewebday.org/base/index.php/Melbourne
Event

The City of Melbourne <http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/> will host a
breakfast event with speakers reporting on the Future
Melbourne<http://www.futuremelbourne.com.au/>project. The breakfast
will be aimed at communicating Future Melbourne's
extraordinary experience in the adoption of a wiki-based environment for the
mass collaborative development of the City's plan, including a one month
long, open access public consultation. Invitees will include Local and State
Government representatives, Future Melbourne project partners, stakeholders,
and urban planning consultants responsible for community consultation.

The consultation period for Future Melbourne ran from 17 May - 14 June 2008.
As part of this period of public participation, the City of Melbourne hosted
a wiki where members of the public from anywhere in the world could register
and directly edit the draft plan. The site received over 30,000 page views
by nearly 7000 individuals, and over 200 individual edits were undertaken to
the plan.
Topics

   - The wiki advantage: From consultation to participation.
   - Future democracy? Public participation in city planning via online
   technologies eg. Future Melbourne <http://www.futuremelbourne.com.au/>wiki.
   - Trends and challenges in deploying online collaborative technologies.
   - How we fared: The results from the Future
Melbourne<http://www.futuremelbourne.com.au/>consultation period.

Participants

   - Welcome Speech: Cr. Catherine Ng (Confirmed)
   - MC: Andrew Gill (Confirmed)
   - Dr. Mark Alan Elliott of Collabforge <http://collabforge.net/>(Confirmed)
   - Panellists:
      - Geoff Lawler, Director Sustainability and Regulatory Services, City
      of Melbourne (Confirmed)
      - Dr. Mark Alan Elliott of Collabforge
<http://collabforge.net/>(Confirmed)
      - Paul Rees-Jones, Manager Planning & Insights, Clemenger
BBDO<http://www.clemengerbbdo.com.au/bbdo.asp>(Confirmed)

Attendees

Local and State Government representatives, Future Melbourne project
partners, stakeholders, and urban planning consultants responsible for
community consultation.
Details