[Air-L] Conspiracy Groups

KMV cuuixsilver at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 19:14:57 PDT 2008

In 2006 V2_ Institute for the Unstable Media in Rotterdam had an even called
Tangent Conspiracy.  As part of That, Florian Cramer gave a great talk about
the connection between the web and conspiracies.  The video is archived
here:
http://www.v2.nl/portal2004/events/channel/item.sxml?uri=urn:v2:portal2004:rss:events.rss:061030145547-TANGENT_CONSPIRACY

He talks about the web as inherently paranoid, about hacker culture and
conspiracy theories, and a historical survey of some representative
conspiracies, and mentions 9/11.  It might be helpful as an example of a
different way of framing.

Also, I believe Brian Massumi has done some useful writing about 9/11
paranoia generally: "Fear (The Spectrum Said)" *positions: east asia
cultures critique* 13.1 (2005) 31-48 --
http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/positions/v013/13.1massumi.html

and this:
"Potential Politics and the Primacy of Preemption" Theory and Event 10:2
http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/theory_and_event/v010/10.2massumi.html

You need access through a library or university though.

Best,

Kim

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 6:54 PM, CJ Pascoe
<c.j.pascoe at coloradocollege.edu>wrote:

> I'm hoping that the combined wisdom of this list can point me in the
> correct direction.  One of my undergraduate students is writing her senior
> thesis on American 9/11 conspiracy theory groups.  I can help her with a
> general sociological framing of these groups, but I'm not sure where to
> direct her in terms of literature on new media and conspiracy groups (apart
> from a good This American Life episode from National Public Radio).  Do any
> of you have suggestions for specific articles/books on conspiracy theory
> groups and their use of new media?
>
> Thanks,
> CJ
> C.J. Pascoe