[Air-L] text suggestions?

Jennifer Stromer-Galley jstromer at albany.edu
Tue Sep 16 17:45:32 PDT 2008

I don't have a good text to recommend, but I'm eager to hear what others
suggest.

I teach an undergraduate course that focuses on "communication on the
Internet," and takes students through different pre-Web, Web, and Web
2.0 applications as well as some of the pressing social and cultural
concerns.

The challenge is staying up-to-date! The class used to be a pre-Web,
HTML/Web class. But, now with blogging, SNSs, Wikis, etc., I totally
revamped the class this semester.

I've given up using a textbook, for the reason you note: they quickly
become out of date. Although the issues of the early part of this decade
and even earlier are still relevant, it's hard for students to see past
a 2002 or 2004 pub date and see that the content is current/relevant.

~Jenny

Assistant Professor
Department of Communication, SS 340
University at Albany, SUNY