[Air-L] text suggestions?

Denise N. Rall denrall at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 21 15:01:30 PDT 2008

Mohammad -

The David Bell book (below) places cyberculture studies into a coherent context from the framework of two major theorists in the field.  However it covers other texts as well (see treatment of Bakardjieva, M. (2005). Internet society: The internet in everyday life. London, Sage.)

Also covers Steve Jones' contributions. Overall, it is more a critical treatment and not a sociological text as such. Back references to Goffman, De Certeau, Lyotard, Winner, Gibson helpful for those students who think cyberculture appeared in 1999 ;-)

Bell, D., Ed. (2007). Cyberculture theorists: Castells and Haraway. London, Routledge.

Yes I see your point that material has fragmented and those useful texts are not updated to 2008.

There were two anthologies of digital media produced recently. You might quickly review David Silver's website, the resource center for cyberculture studies.
http://rccs.usfca.edu/

He will have the latest publications and reviews as well.

Cheers, Denise

Denise N. Rall, PhD. Internationalisation Project Officer
Southern Cross University, Lismore NSW 2480 AUSTRALIA
Office: Room T2.17, +61 (0)2 6620 3577 Mobile 0438 233 344
http://www.scu.edu.au/schools/esm/staff/pages/drall/
Presenter, Internet Research 9.0, 15-18 October 2008, Copenhagen, DK