[Air-L] New AoIR website

Charles Ess charles.ess at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 20:37:26 PDT 2008

> It seems a bit odd that no one has yet commented on how good the new aoir site
> looks.
well, we're all busy ...

> I think it looks brilliant, and thanks to those who do the hard work!! (in
> Australian - the hard yaka). Someimes, I feel there's little appreciation for
> the hard-working exec's of this organisation. Alex Halavais definitely
> deserves a beer (or other nominated beverage) from the AoIR members in
> Copenhagen! I for sure plan to see he gets one from me!

I couldn't agree more - but you need to add a number of others to your beer
(or whatever) party.
Indeed, because everyone involved is impressively modest, everyone has been
diffident about taking well-deserved credit.  But the truth is that Asa did
much of the heavy lifting (as we say) on the redesign, beginning with the
aesthetics and organization - and with the assistance of lots of input from
the Exec at large, of course.  Certainly, Alex was equally invaluable,
especially in working through the technical details with Asa, and most
especially as we neared the time for switching over to the new site.  As
well, Monica and Alex worked very hard together to finalize the details of
the web elements for membership payments - details that, from the
programming / administration side, were astonishingly user-hostile and
complex, in more or less inverse proportion to what we hope will be a very
user-friendly experience on the site itself.  Last, but certainly not least,
Sabryna was centrally involved both with organizational discussions and with
taking on new responsibilities re. how to make the switch in terms of
keeping membership information. Believe me, it was / is a blindingly
complicated series of unnecessarily difficult details (technology making our
lives easier - NOT!) that had / have to be navigated: kudos, I say again
kudos! to especially these four and the Executive Committee at large.

Again, I couldn't agree with you more, Denise, and thank you for calling our
collective attention to these matters. The new website, in my view,
represents an exceptional accomplishment in our organizational lives
together, especially as it represents a significant improvement upon our
services to members (and visitors). We all owe these folk, and the Executive
Committee at large, more than one beer in Copenhagen!

On that happy thought,
cheers
- c.