[Air-L] OneWebDay (Sept 22)

Michael Zimmer zimmerm at uwm.edu
Fri Sep 5 10:18:00 PDT 2008

Dear all -

Seeing Jeremy Hunsinger's message about "Open Access Day" prompted me
to wonder what, if anything, people are doing to celebrate OneWebDay
on September 22.

For those unfamiliar, OneWebDay (http://onewebday.org) is like Earth
Day for the Internet: it was created by Prof. Susan Crawford (now at
Michigan Law School) so there would be a single day where everyone
across the globe could join together to celebrate the Web, reflect on
its role in our lives, and take steps to ensure its survival as a
sphere for public discourse, the open flow of ideas, spread of
knowledge, fostering of communities, etc, etc.

OWD celebrations are planned worldwide for Sept 22 (see http://
www.onewebday.org/base/index.php/Main_Page).

At our local event in Milwaukee, we're featuring talks on Net
Neutrality and Internet Policy Issues; Internet Globalism and Ethics;
Ethics, Gaming, and Virtual Worlds; and Privacy, Social Networks, and
Online Life. We also plan to have educational kiosks for students to
learn how to edit and contribute (constructively) to Wikipedia, as
well as how to tweak the privacy settings on their Facebook profiles.
(see <http://www.onewebday.org/base/index.php/Milwaukee> for more
details).

What are others doing??

-michael.

--
Michael Zimmer, PhD
Assistant Professor, School of Information Studies
e: zimmerm at uwm.edu
w: www.michaelzimmer.org