[Air-L] Fwd: 22.186 Academia.edu: 'tree' of academics launches

Alex Halavais alex at halavais.net
Mon Sep 1 15:45:10 PDT 2008

As far as I can tell, the research interests are actually added by
users. I added "Communication," for example.

Not sure we need YASN, but this one at least seems more clearly
oriented to academics, particularly those who don't already have
spaces on the web, and adding academics who aren't on the site is a
smart plan for growth. Worth watching, at least.

- Alex

----------------
Now playing: The Beatles - Happiness Is A Warm Gun
http://foxytunes.com/artist/the+beatles/track/happiness+is+a+warm+gun

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 6:20 PM, Peter Timusk <ptimusk at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> I agree too as popular music and statistics seem to missing as research
> interests. I have requested by feedback to the site that they open up the
> research interests to free fields.
>
> Code seems to rule this site and it also is not very intuitive design and I
> wonder how those with no sight can navigate it.
>
> Seems another example of poor web design with big ideas.
>
> On 1-Sep-08, at 3:48 AM, Anders Sundnes Løvlie wrote:
>
>> Interesting. But for a project with global ambitions, it seems a little
>> eschewed towards English language. E.g. in the "research interests"
>> section there are two categories for literature studies: "English
>> literature" and "World literatures"... Neither does it handle non-English
>> characters well. My new, easy-to-remember homepage url:
>>
>> http://uio.academia.edu/AndersSundnesL%C3%B8vlie
>>
>> ;)
>> --
>> Anders Sundnes Løvlie
>> Research fellow
>> Department of Media and Communication
>> University of Oslo
>> Tlf: (+47) 40 45 04 85

//
// This email is
// [X] assumed public and may be blogged / forwarded.
// [ ] assumed to be private, please ask before redistributing.
//
// Alexander C. Halavais, cyberflâneur
// http://alex.halavais.net
//