[Air-L] Air-L Digest, Vol 50, Issue 18 (Pawan Singh)

Matthew Bernius mbernius at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 15:41:30 PDT 2008

Pawan,

>From the sound of it you haven't got through an IRB (Institutional Review
Board) process. Let me suggest that you temporarily suspend your research
until you do so. At universities in the US that receive Public/Federal
funding, any significant human research must get vetted by the schools IRB
board (for better or worse). Since you're dealing with sexual material and
the issue of whether the data you are recording is confidential or public,
you're definitely in the territory of the IRB. And if you proceed without
the go ahead, you may not be able to use the research that you gather --
I've known a number of people who've been through hell and back getting the
IRB to allow research that was conducted prior to getting the requiste
permissions to be used for thesis and disertations.

- Matt