[Air-L] Classifying YouTube Videos

Dominic Yeo skyrock at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 21:50:02 PDT 2008

Hi everyone,

I'm doing a study of motivations of users in viewing YouTube videos
and I'll be constructing a questionnaire that measures users'
preferences of the different types of videos on YouTube (among other
things). I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestion on how to classify
the videos on YouTube (or better yet any published papers that adopt a
classification system of YouTube videos). Obviously one
straightforward way is to adopt the exact same classification that
already exists on YouTube (Autos & Vehicles, Comedy, Education,
Entertainment, Film & Animation, Gaming, Howto & Style, Music, News &
Politics, People & Blogs, Pets & Animals, Science & Technology,
Sports, Travel & Events) but I feel they do not provide sufficient
differentiation especially in the area of user-generated videos.

Best regards,
Dominic