[Air-L] Your Opinion

Pam Brewer brewerpe at appstate.edu
Wed Apr 15 08:40:12 PDT 2009

Elaine and all--

I, too, think that digital literacy is of primary importance for K-12
but with emphasis on "literacy."  I would also add critical thinking
with regards to digital literacy.

As to the discussion of individual vs. group pedagogy, I will speak to
my own experience as a teacher.  In the classroom, I have found that I
have to teach to the group in order to accomplish goals, but the
classroom is not the beginning and end of teaching; the individual
student is.  In order to be truly effective, I have to open channels of
communication with individuals, and the challenges to doing this are
different when the contact is digital rather than face to face.
Recognizing the roles of group and individual experience, I think, are
the greatest challenge to great teaching.  I'm still working on it.

Best!

Pamela Estes Brewer
Assistant Professor
Department of English