[Air-L] another book announcement ...

Charles Ess charles.ess at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 05:09:07 PDT 2009

Hi all,
... now that it's officially in stock at major online retailers (the
ultimate index of reality ...)

Digital Media Ethics. Cambridge: Polity Press -
i.e., part of the their Digital Media and Society series, that includes
publications by sister and brother AoIR-ists such as Jill Walker Rettberg
and Alex Halavais.

AoIRists Steve Jones and Elizabeth Buchanan have been very generous in their
blurbs for the book, all of that can be read for oneself at the book's
website:
<http://www.polity.co.uk/digitalmediaandsociety/bookinfo_dme.aspx>

As I emphasize in the introduction, the realities of networked technologies
and thereby of our networked selves and communities mean that our
responsibilities and obligations to one another are likewise distributed in
significant new ways.  In particular, this book would not have been possible
without the generous assistance so characteristic of still other AoIRists,
including Susanna Paasonen, Mia Consalvo, Miguel Sicart, and multiple
colleagues at the Information and Media Studies Department of Aarhus
University, including Niels Ole Finnemann, Jakob Linaa Jensen, Finn Olesen,
Randi Markussen, and Poul Erik Nielsen.

My deepest thanks to all. And, in these multiple ways, I think of the book
as very much an instantiation exemplifying the interdisciplinary and
international emphases of AoIR, and what AoIR can thus do for the sake of
fostering multiple facets of Internet research.  Especially in that light, I
note the book's publication with as much pleasure for what it might say
about AoIR as a scholarly community as for what it might mean for me.

Enjoy!
- c.

Distinguished Research Professor,
Interdisciplinary Studies Center <http://www.drury.edu/gp21>
Drury University
Springfield, MO  65802  USA

President, Association of Internet Researchers <www.aoir.org>
Co-Editor, International Journal of Internet Research Ethics
<http://ijire.net/>
Co-chair, CATaC conferences <www.catacconference.org>

Exemplary persons seek harmony, not sameness. -- Analects 13.23