[Air-L] Your Opinion

Pam Brewer brewerpe at appstate.edu
Wed Apr 15 12:50:46 PDT 2009

Jeremy--

On the one hand, you point to "digital literacy" as somewhat extraneous

"Digital literacy to me is just 'literacy'.... if you have the right
skills to be 'literate' you should have the right skills to be digitally
literate, but the argument is frequently made that it isn't so, thus we
have digital literacy, we also have informational literacy, which is a
different thing also apparently, there is internet literacy, and webbed
literacies and multimodal media literacies."

On the other hand, you point out the importance of context.  I think
digital literacy is just one way to contextualize literacy, and maybe
the ability to contextualize is central to this discussion because that
ability contributes to both literacy and learning.  It might also be a
key issue to K-12 improvements.  Context is certainly exigent to my
field of technical communication and to my teaching though I hadn't
thought about in quite this way before.

Pamela Estes Brewer

Assistant Professor
Department of English