[Air-L] qual data analysis software for linux

Jeremy Depauw jeremy.depauw at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 14:38:31 PDT 2009

I suggest porphyry/ Cassandre (
http://cassandre-qda.sourceforge.net/about.en.html ) It is an opne
source/free software that allows you to analysemultiformat corpus on either
an individual or a collaborative way.
To summarize the idea:

Cassandre helps the researchers to build analytical frameworks consistent
with their hypotheses. With such a companion, the researchers chooses, in
the material, keywords or idioms as accurate candidate surrogates for
investigated phenomena. The software finds all excerpts that belong these
keywords/idioms, so that all exerpts related to a phenomenon can be
compared. Comparisons help to refine the hypotheses or raise new questions.
And so on, the interactive analysis goes on...

It is an interative process. You find words in the text that you define as
indicators. Those indictors, you link them to braoder idea of concepts and
then the tool scan the all corpus to highlight the conept in it.

Example:

5-2 : I think to have to correct again, based on what I said earlier. I have
said that in the past, anyone could publish anything and you had just to
rely on the one who published it. Now, there is the social control, coming
from feedback, so it is easier to assess.

Here you can define the words anyone and anything as indicators of a broader
trend, let's say "technology fo all". Cassandre will give you analytical
framework that shows you all the use of these word in the corpus that rely
on this trend. By exploring again the text, you find experts such as:

2-4: Professionalism. The journalist is a professional who act in a certain
way, in a certain process. And anyone can set up a blog and they don't
necessarily go about a certain process or a certain way of acting.

Following this you may understand add the idea of amateurism to your
analytical framework... and so on... It GREAT !!

I hope this help...

Jeremy

2009/4/21 Mark Warschauer <markw at uci.edu>

> Anybody here use WEFT QDA or any other qualitative data analysis software
> for linux?  Any thoughts or recommendations?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark
>
> Mark Warschauer
> Professor of Education and Informatics
> University of California, Irvine
> Berkeley Place 2001 (for mail); Berkeley Place 3000C (for visitors)
> Irvine, CA 92697-5500
> tel: (949) 824-2526,  fax: (949) 824-2965
> markw at uci.edu; http://www.gse.uci.edu/markw

Jeremy Depauw

The Power of Knoweldge Sharing and Skills Synegism
Journal de recherche: http://dev.ulb.ac.be/~jdepauw/dotclear/index.php