[Air-L] Mobile Learning: A Symposium / May 1, 2009 / University of Manitoba

McKiernan, Gerard [LIB] gerrymck at iastate.edu
Tue Apr 28 11:09:09 PDT 2009

Colleagues/

Yet Another May Day Event !

/Gerry

Mobile Learning: A Symposium / May 1, 2009 / St. Paul's College,
University of Manitoba

Globally, mobile phones now outnumber computers by a ratio of 3:1.
Recent innovations with smart phones - the Blackberry and iPhone -
suggest the revolution has only just begun. Mobile devices now marry the
power of the personal computer with the convenience and mobility of the
cellphone. Emailing, web browsing, multimedia data gathering, social
networking, location awareness, text messaging, and gaming are all
possible on a mobile device.

Other devices, such as netbooks, ipods and Amazon's Kindle, provide new
opportunities for mobile computing. How do mobile technologies impact
education? What can educators do to take advantage of the powerful
computing devices most students carry in their pockets? This symposium
will explore the educational impact of mobile devices, drawing on
examples of successful educational implementations and case studies.

Partial Schedule

>Keynote: The Diminishing Relevance of Place

George Siemens, Associate Director, Research and Development with the
Learning Technologies Centre at University of Manitoba ; Founder and
President of Complexive Systems Inc.

>From the Ultimate Mobile Device to Ultimately Mobile: Libraries and
Mobile Services

Karen Hunt and Richard Jones

>The Evolution of Wireless

Mansell Nelson, VP Business Product Management, Rogers Wireless / Bruce
Dagge, Apple Inc.

>Hands on session: Explore an array of mobile devices: netbooks, Kindle,
iPhones, and others

>Are We Ready for Mobile Technologies and Their Impact on Pedagogy, Tool
Development, and Assessment?

Thomas C. Laughner, Director, Educational Technology Services, Smith
College / J. Scott Payne, Director of Academic Technology Services,
Amherst College

>Location Awareness and Data Gathering

Dr. Shirley Thompson, Sonesinh Keobouasone, and Larry Laliberty

>Introduction of Cell Phone Technology in Open and Distance Learning of
English: a Case Study

Irene Parvin, Assistant Professor of English, School of Education,
Bangladesh Open University

>Theme: Future Trends: A multi-institutional panel

George Siemens (Moderator)

Paul Little, Dean, School of Learning Technologies, RRC / John Anchan,
Executive Director, Centre for Teaching, Learning & Technology,
University of Winnipeg

Registration

$75 / $ 40 (Student) [includes breakfast, lunch and refreshment breaks]

>>Registration is limited to 100 people<<

Co-organized by the Learning Technologies Centre, Libraries, Learning
Assistance Centre, Information Services and Technology, and Extended
Education, University of Manitoba

Associated Links, Abstracts, and Biosketches Available At

[ http://tinyurl.com/c3o6sz <http://tinyurl.com/c3o6sz>  ]

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan

Associate Professor

Science and Technology Librarian

Iowa State University Library

Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

There is Nothing More Powerful Than An Idea Whose Time Has Come / Victor
Hugo

[ http://www.blogger.com/profile/09093368136660604490 ]

Iowa: Where the Tall Corn Flows and the (North)West Wind Blows

 [ http://alternativeenergyblogs.blogspot.com/ ]