[Air-L] 1) Open 2) Semantic 3) Social 4) Mobile

McKiernan, Gerard [LIB] gerrymck at iastate.edu
Thu Apr 30 13:40:03 PDT 2009

Colleagues/

I have been invited to give an invited keynote at the University of
Limerick, Ireland, in early June 2009 at a symposium focused on 'New
Paradigms in Scholarly Research'.

I have chosen to address this theme with a presentation titled

Research and Scholarship In The 21st Century:

The Paradigms They Are A'Changin > Open / Semantic / Social / Mobile

I plan to focus on the four broad themes of 1) Open, 2) Semantic, 3)
Social, and 4) Mobile.

Under each I plan to profile significant developments that relate to
each, namely

__Open__

Open Access / Open Science / Open Source / Open standards / Etc.

__Semantic__

Valued Added Content and Functionality Within Journals / Monographs /
Other Publications

For Examples See My

"E Is for Everything: The Extra-Ordinary, Evolutionary [E-]Journal." The
Serials Librarian 41, no. 3/4 (2002): 293-321.[
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~gerrymck/SLv41n3-4.pdf ] [Last Article]

"Embedded Multimedia in Electronic Journals." Multimedia Information and
Technology 25, no. 4 (1999): 338-343. [
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~gerrymck/Embed.pdf ]

New Age Navigation: Innovative Information Interfaces for Electronic
Journals. "The Serials Librarian 45, no. 2 (2003): 87 - 123[
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~gerrymck/NewAge.pdf ]

As Well As "Adventures in Semantic Publishing: Exemplar Semantic
Enhancements of a Research Article" that I recently profiled in my
Scholarship 2.0 blog at [ http://tinyurl.com/cyfe4f ]

__Social__

Social networks / Social software / Web 2.0 /Etc.

__Mobile__

Mobile data access

Mobile data gathering

Incorporated mobile content within publications

See my 'Twitter Science / Publication / Conferences ?' [
http://tinyurl.com/db2827  ]

I would be most grateful to learn of particular/specific examples within
each subtopic (within a research/scholarly environment) that you believe
is specifically/particularly noteworthy to profile in my presentation.

Please submit your recommendations at A(s) Comment(s) At

[ http://tinyurl.com/c8f2x2  ]

Thanks A Million !

BTW: If There Are Any Colleagues In Ireland That Would Be Interested In
Hosting/Sponsoring A Version of The Presentation, Please Do Contact Me
(gerrymck at iastate.edu). In Addition To My Presentation At Limerick (June
9), I Plan To Visit Dublin (June 3-5) And Galway (June 6-7).

If A Formal Presentation Is Not Possible, I'd Loved To Discuss The
Issues With You Over A Pint Or Two ... [:-)]

Regards,

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan

Associate Professor

Science and Technology Librarian

Iowa State University Library

Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

There is Nothing More Powerful Than An Idea Whose Time Has Come / Victor
Hugo

[ http://www.blogger.com/profile/09093368136660604490  ]

Iowa: Where the Tall Corn Flows and the (North)West Wind Blows

[ http://alternativeenergyblogs.blogspot.com/   ]