[Air-L] archiving writers' e-work (fwd)

Lois Ann Scheidt lscheidt at umail.iu.edu
Wed Apr 8 10:31:58 PDT 2009

Joan,

My response is US-centric, but yes, with current copyright laws as they are
anyone with intellectual property (self-produced multimedia archives of most
any sort) should be bequeathing that archive to someone else's control after
they are gone. I have mine setup to include all published and unpublished
work (including online work such as blogs) I should note there that I set up
a "literary trust" which is the actual holder of the artifacts...and then
has a trustee who manages them...and a stated process for assigning new
trustees as time goes on. As a side note, funding has been arranged so that
websites, etc can remain active into perpetuity...after reading this story I
should have included the recommendation to convert media too modern forms
periodically.

The library world has been discussing this for some time, particularly in
relationship to orphan works. Orphan works are works covered by current
copyright laws but for whom no copyright holder can be identified. There are
also stories of families who theoretically hold their departed members
copyright but who refuse to allow the work to be used...something that could
easily happen unless the original copyright holder has taken moves to pass
on their advise for future use. In my case the trust documents say I want
the work used appropriately and widely...which gives the trustee license to
make decisions on appropriateness with the guidance that I don't want work
to die in a vault somewhere.

I'm not an attorney, so my endorsement is fairly shallow...but it looks like
Wikipedia has a pretty good entry on this issues. For Copyright see
http://tinyurl.com/8fsld for Orphan works see http://tinyurl.com/6zfuof

"The length of the term [of copyright] can depend on several factors,
including the type of work (e.g. musical composition, novel), whether the
work has been published or not, and whether the work was created by an
individual or a corporation. In most of the world, the default length of
copyright is the life of the author plus either 50 or 70 years."

After doing his research, my attorney was amazed at how little is actually
being said about copyright and academics or any other content producers. He
is planning at putting together some training for our local colleges, where
he is on faculty.

It may seem strange that a student has gone ahead and done this...mostly it
was just being thorough when I set up my estate. I have some publications
now--both academic and non-academic--and I plan to have many more in the
future. So it seemed prudent to address everything at once when I had my
estate reviewed during my divorce.

I should also note that your post was very timely as I was reviewing this
issue last week...it's part of my annual birthday review, so now I have some
additions to make to bring the trust up to speed.

Thanks

Lois

Lois Ann Scheidt
Doctoral Student - School of Library and Information Science, Indiana
University, Bloomington IN USA
Webpage:  http://www.loisscheidt.com
CV:  http://www.loisscheidt.com/cv.html
Blog:  http://www.professional-lurker.com