[Air-L] Visualization tool for conversations?

T. Kennedy tkennedy at netwomen.ca
Wed Apr 22 05:33:36 PDT 2009

I've also used NodeXL to analyze connections & conversations in online
forums. Handy and effective, and used with excel:
http://www.codeplex.com/NodeXL

Tracy Kennedy

Message: 4
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 12:16:20 -0400
From: gus andrews <gus.andrews at gmail.com>
Subject: [Air-L] Visualization tool for conversations?
To: air-l at listserv.aoir.org

Hi everyone,

My dissertation involves conversational analysis of the comment threads on
blogs. I want to be able to visualize which commenters are responding to
other commenters. Does anyone have suggestions of software to use? Ideally
I'd like to find something where I can create visualizations as I code,
dragging lines between one comment and another. (I realize the latter
request is probably a pipe dream.)

I've already talked to Warren Sack at UCSC about the tool he used for his
dissertation, and at the moment it does not look as if it will work for me,
for two reasons: 1) I need to better visualize the connection between
threads in chronological order, and 2) it would take a lot of work (for
him!) to massage my data into a format which his software could crunch.

Thanks!
Gillian "Gus" Andrews
Doctoral Candidate, Communications in Education Teachers College, Columbia
University www.gumbaby.com www.youtube.com/user/themediashow