[Air-L] Your Opinion

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Wed Apr 15 09:24:12 PDT 2009

I tend to think that the whole...  literacy issue is actually not what
we need.  Literacy is to make people 'literate' and from my
perspective being literate in any given set of technology is not
really what we need for the future, we need people who have the skills
to achieve literacy on their own on any given new technology or old
technology they are confronted with, and to after they achieve
literacy, which we might equate with apprentice level skill, they
should be able to move through higher levels of skills until they
become masters.   Literacy, to me, has always been problematic as it
become the goal instead of the goal being adaptable learners that can
become literate should they need to be.   Here I tend to say that
instead of literacy we need to develop judgment in our students and in
relation to judgment what Aristotle termed practical wisdom, which is
related to the performance of skills, but as it is developed is
translated into other things.   Other people describe what i'm talking
about as a form of creativity and adaptability, here is a fun talk
about it http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity.html