[Air-L] Your Opinion

Elaine Studnicki elainestudnicki at comcast.net
Thu Apr 16 07:30:07 PDT 2009

I've been reading about cultural literacy (yet another one).  The ability
for a community/country to communicate, respond to each other, and more,
requires a minimum set of skill sets.  This, I think, would be a basic
definition of literacy.  However, technology has quickly crept into our
culture as a another medium to work, play, and share information and this is
my concern, what is the impact of technology, especially online services, on
our communities and lifestyles? Is it another tool of segregation for
students and people at large?  There are a lot of adults and students who do
not have access. Many that do really don't know how to use it effectively,
never mine how it works. Nick's black box concern is a real one.  Add to
that the inability of teachers and school systems to adjust to teaching and
learning with technology and it becomes mind boggling.

I really am an optimistic person!  Thanks for listening.

BTW:  Couldn't help but go to wikipedia!

The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
(UNESCO) has drafted the following definition: "'Literacy' is the ability to
identify, understand, interpret, create, communicate, compute and use
printed and written materials associated with varying contexts. Literacy
involves a continuum of learning to enable an individual to achieve his or
her goals, to develop his or her knowledge and potential, and to participate
fully in the wider society."[2] In modern times, illiteracy is seen as a
social problem to be solved through education.

Literacy = A life long learner. I like that.

Jeremy - loved the Ken Robinson clip, shared it with my district.