[Air-L] Using brick-space measures- Online Education Beats the Classroom

William Brantley wbran001 at waldenu.edu
Thu Aug 20 06:44:18 PDT 2009

Steve brings up a good point here.

During the timespan of the metastudy (1996 to 2008), Internet technology has changed greatly while traditional classroom technology has changed little.  In fact, the biggest change in f2f teaching has been the increasing use of PowerPoint which probably diminished classroom interaction thus leading to less student engagement.  As Steve pointed out, the new media became less like the old media and developed methods to better engage the student.  Leaving out the differences in innovation makes for an unfair comparison.

To me, whether online or f2f is better is a false dilemma.  Online technology is valuable as a content delivery system but it is the conversations with peers and the teacher that turns information into knowledge.  As I read the report, I see it as evidence that a blended learning approach is the most effective (http://thejournal.com/articles/2009/07/01/meta-analysis-is-blended-learning-most-effective.aspx).  And that fits in with my experience as both a traditional instructor and online instructor.  This is an interesting study but I think the debate should be more about how learning itself has changed rather than the learnings tools have changed.

Bill Brantley
Credentials: http://www.linkedin.com/in/billbrantley

Original E-mail