[Air-L] ratios/absolutes - retractions

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Sat Aug 22 16:51:00 PDT 2009

Well, the number of retractions is up more than tenfold, 95 out of 1M+ is
trivial. Another case of media blowing up a minor phenomenon? YMMV.

PS: # of publications expected varies by field. In sociology, we have had
to repeatedly educate senior administrators that where there average size
page is 7pp, our's is 35pp+, and we have fewer venues for publication.

I also believe that top schools don't merely count, but read the papers of
decent candidates. (And also their letters of recc.) So quality still
counts.

In any event, one of my doc students just named her baby Albert Li, after
Mr Einstein.

 Barry Wellman