[Air-L] Twitter and science/humanities

Kathy Gill kegill at u.washington.edu
Mon Aug 31 10:40:55 PDT 2009

Axel Kittenberger wrote:

> Do you have additional hints and links about the value
> twitter/microblogging can and could have on science? That is less
> doing science about the twittersphere than science going together with
> twitter/microblogging, scientists and institutes who/which Twitter
> (publicly and privately), and so on.

Hi, Alex:

My summer class (UW Master of Communication in Digital Media) is writing
a book on twitter best practices: http://twitter09.wordpress.com/ and
http://uwtwitterbook.com/

We did not have anyone exploring "science" per se. However, one student
is analyzing how higher ed institutions are using twitter.

RE "science" and "use" -- the first thing that comes to mind is NASA and
the Mars Rover. Recall that in 2008 NASA broke the story about water
(ice) on mars via Twitter:

http://twitter.com/MarsPhoenix/statuses/839088619
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/06/mars-phoenix-tw/
http://www.nowpublic.com/tech-biz/twitter-tells-me-nasa-has-found-water-mars