[Air-L] Credentials

Meryl Krieger meryl.krieger at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 08:27:58 PDT 2009

I've been mostly lurking through this thread, partly because I'm in the
middle of final revisions (yay for posting, will send an announcement to
y'all when my wonderful chair signs the bottom line...) partly because I've
been thinking where I stand on this.

This has been a fascinating conversation about the culture of internet
research - coming from an anthropologist I can't resist thinking about it
this way. But I have to say, knowing where in the world, literally, someone
is situated is pretty important to me, because it gives me a sense of where
different kinds of expertise are developing, and frankly as a researcher
that's helpful.

Personally I don't care what someone's technical credentials are. I'm
someone in the humanities who got into technology as sort of a fluke, and my
skills come from practical experience and the couple courses I managed to
squeeze in while doing my doctoral coursework and and while I've been
researching and writing. It is interesting, however, to see where people
come from in their expertise on that topic.

Bungee jumping, while fascinating *grin* (mostly because I'm too chicken to
do it) doesn't give me anything scholarly to chew on, though when I start
meeting folks at conferences it'll be a great conversation starter.

Seriously, this may just need to be a live and let live situation, where we
all occasionally weigh in and debate it - pretty healthy discussion for a
growing, interdisciplinary group such as ours. I love that this has been
civil and yet many people have different stances on this.

With that in mind, I'll sign off with relevant credentials, and hope to
continue this conversation at some point over a beer or similar beverage...

Cheers!

J. Meryl Krieger
(almost!) Ph.D., Folklore & Ethnomusicology, Indiana University
Associate Instructor, Department of Communication & Culture
Adjunct Instructor, Ivy Tech Community College
kriegerj at indiana.edu