[Air-L] In the morning, go online

Conor Schaefer conor.schaefer at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 17:35:36 PDT 2009

OK, point taken: pet owners might live by a different standard. But
given that dog ownership in the U.S. is by most accounts under 40% (see
two sources below), it's still fair for the NYT to gawk at a very new
trend. As the article exasperatingly declares, a single decade ago, this
behavior was almost nonexistent. And now it's already permeated our
culture (or maybe closer to 60% of it!) so completely that it's been
ritualized as a kind of "fast breaking."

You're also right that it's rather silly (although very typical) of a
major newspaper to act astounded about the prevalence and therefore
importance of internet consumption.

Sources on dog ownership:
http://www.hsus.org/pets/issues_affecting_our_pets/pet_overpopulation_and_ownership_statistics/us_pet_ownership_statistics.html

http://www.avma.org/reference/marketstats/ownership.asp