[Air-L] Credentials

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Tue Aug 18 08:02:07 PDT 2009

no.  so long as the person is correct or i can learn from them.    I
know at least 2 people on this list that do not have doctorates in
statistics or doctorates at all and can probably answer 99% of
statistical software questions quicker, better, and with less fuss,
because they work with this software every day have taken training in
the software, have read more textbooks related to statistics,
etc.      Now if you have question on whether you need a specific test
to verify for certain sampling errors in a snowball sample, you might
want to talk to a statistical counselor....  as there are certainly
questions that some people face and answer better than others.
However, I could send you to statistics ph.d.'s who would just tell
you to buzz off too, so...  in the end... i'd recommend take knowledge
where you can get it, with the grains of salt it comes with.

but i do think it is an interesting question.   i just don't think,
given my experiences, that credentials matter as much as demonstrable
knowledge and while they may play a part in some cases, in the
majority of cases I would not make that claim.

so no...

-jeremy