[Air-L] a collaborative assignment?

Kristin Scott kscott65 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 15:17:08 PDT 2009

Hello everyone,

I'm teaching a class at George Mason University (in Virgina, U.S.)
this fall called Internet Literacy, in which we'll be exploring the
theories/practices of everything from communication, information, new
genres, multiple media, social networking, mobile web, internet
collaborations (i.e. political, intellectual, social), emerging
cultures and subcultures, gaming, etc.

Since this class has an experiential learning component, I was
thinking that it would be really cool if I could connect with a
professor/class from some other part of the world (Australia, the UK,
India, Canada, or wherever we could communicate in English) who is
teaching/learning something similar and work together to create some
mini-assignment where our students collaborate on some small project
(that would suit both our needs -- mine being a combination of the
practical use of networking/communication/collaborative software and
explore some of the cultural implications of this kind of internet
activity). I'm imagining the students working together in groups and
using Skype, wikis, IMs, and/or other communication media to converse.

Would anyone on this list be interested in discussing such a
mini-collaboration? Or perhaps know of another professor who may be
interested? If so, please email me, Kristin Scott, at kscotta at gmu.edu.

For those who may be interested, here's a course description (though
I'm still tinkering a bit with it):

I'm still tinkering around with the syllabus, but here's the course
description as it currently stands: NCLC 249 - Internet Literacy is a
learning community that investigates both critical and practical
aspects of the internet, including communication and information
literacy, mobile web, multiple media, social networking, intellectual,
political and civic collaborations, emerging cultures and art forms,
gaming, and additional issues you, as participants, introduce to the
learning community. This course will therefore have both a theoretical
and practical approach: we will examine issues about networked life
presented by both popular and academic literature, as well as learn
(and teach one another) the practical applications of various internet
programs and publishing tools.

Thanks much! Kristin

--
Kristin Scott