[Air-L] The Surprise > First Children's Picture Book For A Mobile Phone

McKiernan, Gerard [LIB] gerrymck at iastate.edu
Thu Aug 27 12:19:35 PDT 2009

Colleagues/

>>> Away We Go..... Vroooooom <<<

Winged Chariot Press has published The Surprise by Sylvia van Ommen,
which tells the story of a sheep which makes a gift for a friend, on the
iPhone.

[The Book > A story with only two words - the title. A book so
delightful and quirky we are sure you'll fall in love with it.]

Parents can download The Surprise for 59p ($ .99) direct to their
iPhones, and children can follow the illustrations on the
touch-sensitive screens.

[snip]

Martin Salisbury, a children's literature expert and illustrator , said:
"Overcoming my innate fear of the screen and lifelong attachment to the
turning of the printed page, I was pleasantly surprised by the ease and
elegance with which it was translated into this digital form.

Rebecca Green, project manager for the National Literacy Trust, said:
"New technologies, such as this picture book App for mobile phones,
offer interesting and unusual mediums for busy parents to share books
together with their children.

"Sharing books together is a vital way to foster a love of reading in
your child from an early age; and this, in turn, is one of the best ways
to ensure their future success when they arrive at primary school and
beyond

Links TO Source / Preview From/For iPhone And Link To iPhone App Store /
Sample Pages From Printed Book / Support Document (Includes B/W
Illustrations) Available From

[ http://tinyurl.com/lde69c  ]

BTW: Thanks To Graham Titley For The HeadsUp !!!

EnJOY!

BTW-2: Are Calculus Textbooks for SmartPhones Not Far Behind ... ? [:-)]

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan

Associate Professor

Science and Technology Librarian

Iowa State University Library

Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

There Are No Answers, Only Solutions / Olde Irish Saying

The Future Is Already Here, It's Just Not Evenly Distributed /

Attributed To William Gibson, SciFi Author / Coined 'Cyberspace