[Air-L] Syllabus suggestions - phD seminar in online relationships

Nicole Ellison nellison at msu.edu
Thu Aug 6 12:50:11 PDT 2009

Hi all,

I am currently putting together my syllabus for a PhD-level seminar
focusing on the Internet and social relationships, and am interested
in seeing similar syllabi or recommendations for scholarship that
should be included. To give you a sense of the topic, currently I plan
to include readings on the following: historical overview of
technology & social interactions; social networks & how they are
reshaped by communication technologies, self-presentation and
impression formation processes, online/offline interactions,
friendship, and new theorizing about the topic. I currently am
considering work by Wellman, Walther, Baym, Baron, boyd, and others
whose last names do not start with W or B. Please send me suggestions
you might have for pieces you feel are particularly  important,
interesting, or innovative. Alternatively I'd love to see syllabi for
related classes, grad or undergrad.

Thank you!
Nicole