[Air-L] Text Sample Size?

Monica Barratt tronica at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 05:30:38 PDT 2009

 Alex, I believe you are right. There is no answer to the question 'how many
observations do I need to enable statistically significance' as a rule of
thumb. But, if you know a bit more about your planned analyses in advance,
you may be able to estimate sample size using power tables.

See
Cohen, J. (1992). A power primer. Psychological Bulletin, 112(1), 155-159.
Cohen, J. (1988). Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences
(2nd ed.). Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Earlbaum Associates.

Power calculations are useful only if your data also meet other criteria
though, which need to be considered before you should be applying
inferential statistics.

One of the problems with web-based data is the relative ease of collecting
'large numbers' of responses, words, observations, etc. People often think
that large numbers means they can 'find statistical significance'. What
matters is the way you are sampling those units and how you have defined the
larger population about which you hope to infer - and other elements such as
the expected differences between groups and effect sizes, as Alex and Peter
have already mentioned.

Although a lot of this is standard methods textbook content, it's surprising
how many published articles use statistical inference in situation where
assumptions for it aren't met. Indeed, I'm still trying to get my head
around it. Colleagues of mine have said things like 'it's not a random
sample and I don't want to generalise my results to a larger population as I
know I cannot, but I can still use statistical tests to test variables
within my data, right?' Given these things get published, I'm confused
myself. Then again, what is theoretically correct and what gets published
aren't necessarily the same thing...

Some answers and more questions for you!

Monica

Monica Barratt
http://db.ndri.curtin.edu.au/student.asp?persid=650&typeid=1