[Air-L] Credentials

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Tue Aug 18 06:10:19 PDT 2009

I tend to think this is against the spirit of aoir as i've understood
it to some extent.   the idea should be more that... anyone with any
credential or none can provide you answers that are as strong as any
others.  in short, my position is "I'd prefer the collegiality of
shared knowledge over credentials any day".    some of our best
contributors in recent years have been undergraduate and graduate
students and i'd like this to continue unhindered by the burden of
being credentialed.

so i'd say, no, people should not bother with credentials unless they
personally feel that they need to 'represent' them for whatever
reason.   so we can have 'both', but there should be no feeling of
compulsion or necessary association between credentials and expertise
that people should assume.

but that's just me....

jeremy