[Air-L] Text Sample Size?

Fred Stutzman fred at fredstutzman.com
Tue Aug 18 10:50:58 PDT 2009

Excellent thread -

In terms of resources, you might wish to look at the work of Susan
Herring, especially her content analyses of weblogs.  Additionally,
papers presented at the SIGIR, TREC (Blog track) and ICWSM
conferences, and the journals JASIST and IP&M may have useful
methodology segments.  There are probably lots of other useful venues.

Following on James' excellent comments, I would urge you to think
about this analysis on the observation-level, rather than overall
corpus size.  Let's assume you have 200 chunks of 1000-word text from
a random collection of blogs (100 female-gendered blogs, 100 male-
gendered blogs).  You could then have raters apply a subjective scale
to the text, and then you could compare scale responses between the
groups, looking for statistically significant differences.

With 200 observations, it would be safe to assume that your data was
parametric, and use standard t-tests or ANOVA.  However, if you had
fewer observations, nonparametric methods such as Wilcoxon and Kruskal-
Wallis would be applicable.  With these tests you're not drawing
general, population-level inference, but this will allow you to run
comparisons in your data set.

If you are looking for population-level statistical significance, this
study lends itself to a stratified design.  The first stage of
sampling could be from a public listing of weblogs (finite population)
or from a randomized search (infinite population).  The second stage
of sampling would be text chunks of appropriate size.  Depending on
gender distribution you may need to apply weighting within your
sample.  Importantly, you would be able to calculate standard errors
with this design.

Best,
Fred
(Also of limited credibility)