[Air-L] Credentials

Mathieu O'Neil oneil at homemail.com.au
Tue Aug 18 20:30:50 PDT 2009

I think the beehive in question may stem from the tension - often
acknowledged on this list - between the traditional type of learned
authority or expertise (a credential delivered by an institution) and
the Internet / hacker type of expertise (competence is publicly
demonstrated irrespective of an attached offline identity).
cheers,
Mathieu

On 19/08
/2009, at 1:13 PM, Dr. Rasha Abdulla wrote:

> Ok, folks, you've made your point. I've obviously stumbled on a
> beehive of
> some sort. All I meant was I'd personally appreciate it if the person
> talking to me (among others, I know) would let me know a little bit
> about
> who he/she is, if only for the sake of including folks like me who
> might not
> be lucky enough or experienced enough or have been around enough to
> know
> most people on the list. I apologize if I have offended anybody, that
> certainly wasn't my intention, but I still stand by my point that,
> personally, I'd like to know more about the people posting messages on
> "public" listserv, and I don't think that's too much to ask (and yes,
> Jeff,
> knowing that you're a parachutist bungee jumper is actually
> interesting and
> gives me more perspective on who you are. At least I'll remember that
> next
> time you post a message since I haven't had the priviledge of meeting
> you
> personally yet). Of course we can argue for ages about whether this
> list is
> public or private, but that's another topic of discussion.
>
> I thank the few who sent me private messages of support, and the many
> who
> disagreed with me publicly. That's what the list is for, I guess. I'll
> continue to sign my full name and title/link/description/whatever, and
> appreciate those who do others that courtesy and certainly now
> understand
> why others who don't don't.
>
> All the best.
> Rasha
>
> On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 5:26 AM, Jeff Jacobsen <cultxpt at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I'd rather put my life-experience qualifications.  Doesn't that count?
>>
>> Jeff Jacobsen
>> Mine Explorer
>> Bungee Jumper
>> Parachutist
>> Anti-cult Activist
>>
>> See? Much more interesting...
>>
>> On 8/18/09, Dr. Rasha Abdulla <rasha at aucegypt.edu> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I've been wanting to ask this of the list members for a while, but
>>> was
>>> afraid it might be offensive to some. But I'm increasingly convinced
>>> that
>>> it's important.
>>>
>>> Could list members please list their full names and titles as a
>>> signature
>>> their messages? It may not make much difference if you're asking a
>> question,
>>> but it certainly does when you're providing an answer or even making
>>> comment. I think it adds to the credibility of the message, and gives
>> other
>>> list members a chance to assess such credibility.

> [...]
Dr Mathieu O'Neil
Adjunct Research Fellow
Australian Demographic and Social Research Institute
College of Arts and Social Science
The Australian National University

E-mail: mathieu.oneil at anu.edu.au
Tel: (61 02) 61 25 38 00